We are all aware of how bad plastic really is for our environment now. Plastic sticks around in the environment for ages, threatening wildlife and spreading toxins everywhere. Nonetheless, it also contributes to global warming. Our reliance on plastic, therefore, prolongs our demands for these dirty fuels. But things are changing. Today we have an environmental alternative for every plastic we use, even in our kitchen. Our kitchen has one contributor to waste in the use of disposable plastic bags.
An easy solution to this problem is to invest in food storage bags made out of material such as silicone or others that are meant to be used and reused.
Now, these bags are not economically cheap but with proper care, they can last for years, which can pay back the initial investment.
Steps to clean reusable food-storage bags:
- Reusable food storage bags can be cleaned with soap and water
- Make sure not to use a hard sponge or scrubber
- Make sure to get crumbs or debris out of the corners
- A soft bristle brush can help
- Make sure to use silicone bags that are dishwasher friendly
- When done, place them upside down with the seal open to get water out
- Do not turn the bag inside out while washing. Doing that can damage the seal on the edges
- Place them over a drinking glass to keep them open
- Make sure they are completely dry before you put them away
- Giving the bags a quick wipe with a kitchen towel also helps
- To prevent stains, use coloured bags
- Vinegar and baking soda also help with stains
- To help with odours, soak the bags in equal parts vinegar and warm water for a few hours.