World

Residents of the collapsed Florida building said it was safe despite “significant structural damage.”

Authorities assured residents of the Miami Beach area apartment, which collapsed last week, that their building was safe despite a report clearly to the contrary, while ignoring residents’ concerns that the nearby construction was affecting the stability of the skyscraper Beach could affect.

The revelations come as the official death toll rose to 11 in the collapse and the number of those missing fell to just 150 on Monday.

Champlain Towers South resident Susana Alvarez reiterated to NBC News that Surfside city officials told residents at a meeting in 2018 that “the building is not in disrepair.”

“The civil engineer has been around for a while,” Alvarez said in NPR’s Weekend Edition. “We raised $ 15 million to fix this building when he said this. Nobody ever told us this building was in such bad shape. Nobody. Nobody.”

The minutes of the meeting published by Surfside on Monday evening confirms Alvarez’s account. According to the minutes, Surfside construction officer Rosendo Prieto told those present that he had received and reviewed the civil engineer’s report, “and it appears the building is in very good condition”.

“The approval process, balcony railings, concrete renovation and waterproofing were discussed,” says the minutes of the meeting.

The day after the meeting, Prieto wrote an e-mail to Guillermo Olmedillo, the local administrator at the time, that “it went very well”.

“The response has been very positive from everyone in the room,” he wrote. “All major concerns about the 40-year recertification process have been addressed.”

But an engineer had warned a month earlier that there was evidence of “major structural damage” under the building’s pool deck.

The consultant, Frank Morabito, was hired to begin a 40-year recertification process under the Miami-Dade County’s Building Code.

Champlain Towers South was built in 1981 and had a roof replacement to match the report when half of the building collapsed Thursday morning.

More than a dozen unregistered buildings in Miami Dade are ready for recertification and are being closely monitored for potential security issues, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Monday. These buildings will be part of a district review that will also include newly recertified buildings.

“So far we’re sure they’re safe, but if we find any safety issues in humans, we’ll be very conscious,” said Cava.

According to Cava, two more bodies were recovered on Monday, bringing the death toll to 11 and a total of 150 people still missing.

The number of people counted has risen to 136 as a 24-hour search and rescue operation by several agencies continues.
Morabito’s report, released Friday by Surfside officials, included pictures of what he wrote as an “extensive crack” and collapse in the underground parking lot of the 12-story building.

Morabito also said the waterproofing under the pool deck and driveway failed, causing “significant structural damage to the concrete structure slab under these areas”.

“If the waterproofing is not replaced in the near future, the extent of concrete damage will increase exponentially,” he said.

Morabito recommended that the concrete slabs that “had problems” next to the entrance and the pool deck “be completely removed and replaced”. He said the deterioration in the concrete should be “repaired in a timely manner”.

This pool was swallowed in a huge sinkhole shortly before it collapsed, the now missing resident Cassondra “Cassie” Billedeau-Stratton told her husband by phone before the line was cut.

Moshe Candiotti, who survived the collapse Thursday, said he never learned when he moved in 14 months ago that the building could potentially have structural problems.

“Why didn’t they close the building then?” Asked Candiotti, 67, who was in the building during the collapse after being briefed on the 2018 report.

“I’m mad, but what are you going to do? Someone has to take the blame, “he said.” You should have notified me. ”

Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said Monday that city officials’ failure to release the details of the report was “worrying”.

Back to top button